Monday, March 26, 2012

Chickpeas 3 Ways: Part Three (A Modification!)

There's something about the idea of "the Sunday meal" that attracts me.  My family never really had a tradition of a special meal on Sunday, but since marrying Dustin, it feels right to eat a more special meal on Sunday.

First, for us, there's the practicality of it.  Sundays are our only full day home together.  We have time to cook all day, and we go grocery shopping most Sundays, so we can pick up whatever we need for a great meal.  There's also the gesture of the Sunday meal.  We know that we are facing a week of busy schedules, no time for a nice, home-cooked meal together.  Most of my meals are eaten in 15 minute spans of time at work or in between classes (these meals consist of cold/unheated foods).  It's nice to unwind with my amazing husband and eat a great meal.



Chickpea Cutlets
I would be lying if I said that I came up with this recipe all by myself.  That credit goes to Isa Chandra Moskowitz and her super brain.  Seriously, I have never tried a recipe from Veganomicon or any of the PPK recipes without loving them.  HOW DO YOU MAKE THESE DELICIOUS CREATIONS?

I started with this recipe and modified it.  Not that it wasn't perfect before, I just didn't have bread crumbs, and wanted a different flavor for mine.

Here are my changes:
1 16 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil   ***1/8 cup canola oil***
1 cup vital wheat gluten
1 cup plain breadcrumbs    ***3/4 cup chickpea flour***
1/2 cup vegetable broth or water
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon dried thyme   ***1 teaspoon oregano***
1 teaspoon paprika           
1/2 teaspoon dried sage    ***1/2 teaspoon tumeric***
***1 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke***
Olive oil for pan frying
Optional ingredients:
4 cloves garlic, pressed or grated with a Microplane grater
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
I followed her directions, and voila! Out came amazing chickpea cutlets!


So what do I eat with them?  Besides steamed cauliflower...what else?  POTATOES OF COURSE! Every Sunday meal should have potatoes.  It's a rule, I swear.

Herb & Onion Baby Potatoes
Ingredients:
-
1 pound baby potatoes
-3 tbsp garlic
-3 green onions, chopped
-2 tbsp onion powder
-1 tsp salt
-2 tbsp oregano
-2 tbsp basil
-Oil of your choice.  I used canola

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  In a small glass dish, put about 2 tbsp of oil, potatoes, garlic, onion powder, salt, oregano, and basil.  Toss until the potatoes are coated.  Scoop about 2 tbsp of the remaining spice mixture out of the dish and set aside.  Cook the potatoes for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally and  checking to see if they are sticking. Add more oil if needed.  Add the spice mixture set aside earlier and cook for 5 more minutes or until potatoes are soft.

Top with chopped green onions and enjoy!



That's the meal champions eat to start their week, or the comfort food I eat to lament the fact that my week is starting and mourn the loss of the weekend.


BE WELL! 
-Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment