Tuesday, March 27, 2012

simplicity.

The number one, non-vegan related question I get whenever I'm eating food I've prepared is how I find time to prepare wonderful meals.  The truth is that I'm a pretty busy lady.  I work, I'm a full-time student, I have a husband, I manage a mental disorder, I work out, I have hobbies.  I have a lot on my plate...no pun intended.  Actually, pun intended, I love puns.

In order to eat well, both according to taste and nutrition, I plan a lot.  I make a big batch of something a head of time, I plan a lot of my meals ahead, and I always have quick "convenience" meals to eat in a jam.  I try to avoid eating out, but in a pinch, there are a lot of vegan options to choose from.

However, my number one piece of advice in eating well with limited time is SIMPLICITY!

Sometimes, meals don't have to be a great production.  Sometimes, it's okay to eat to live, not live to eat.  I do enjoy eating a great, meaningful meal, but I don't always have the time.  That doesn't mean that I don't have to skimp on eating healthy foods or eat something terrible.

For example, here is a picture of Monday's meal.
 

Nothing show-stopping.
A simple spinach salad with some baby beets (I eat a lot of "baby" versions of foods.  Weird.) and some balsamic dressing that I made a while ago.
Steamed green beans with just a little salt and pepper.  I even skipped the vegan butter.
Cast-iron seared tofu cooked in a bit of oil.  I ate it with BARBECUE SAUCE.  Yes, barbecue sauce, which up until Google told me right now, I have been misspelling as "barbeque" for most of my life. If I felt fancy, I could have used some sort of sauce or other condiment.
Raw celery & cucumbers.  I had some vegan tzatziki sauce left over that I dipped these into.  I like things simple, but sheesh, I'm a vegan, not a tastebudless saint.  I need some sort of something on my raw veggies.

Simple.  This meal took like 15 minutes to make.  It took that long only because I realized my spatula was dirty, and I had to wash it mid-cooking.  Basically this meal is something that is delicious that anyone could make.  Tofu with bbq (HA! take that google spell check!) is my go-to lazy/quick meal, pair it with some veggies, a carb, maybe some fruit, and you've got yourself a meal.


stay simple,
danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment