Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Chickpeas 3 Ways: Part Two

So, it was gorgeous out today!  It was like 75 degrees and sunny all day.

I don't know about you, but whenever it's hot...the last thing I want to do is cook! I'd much rather be in the sunshine instead of near a hot oven, waiting for my meal to be done.  There's something about heated foods that sit heavily in my belly during the summer.  In fact, I'd much rather eat raw fruits & veggies instead of anything, but if you want something with a bit more substance...I have the perfect recipe! And this recipes features none other than CHICKPEASSSSSS!



 



Chickpea Salad 
This recipe is awesome because it's chilled, can be spread onto bread for sandwiches, or eaten with crackers for a lighter dinner or snack.

Yields: Enough for  Picnic
Ingredients:
-1 cup TVP (cooked according to directions)
(TVP stands for "texturized vegetable protein. You can find it at most health stores, bulk bins, and even some grocery stores.  For some reason, the name "TVP" and then explanation of what TVP stands for freaks some omnivores out.  I'm not sure why. If you can't find TVP or want to be boring and not try new things, you can certainly replace TVP with an additional can of chickpeas, mashed) 

-2 Cans (13-16 oz) of Chickpeas  (if using dried, 2 cups), mashed up
-1/4 cup relish (sweet or dill, your choice)
-1 TBSP mustard (I used Grey Poupon because I'm undeniably fancy.  You can use whatchu like)
-3 green onions, chopped up
-1 stalk of celery, chopped into tiny pieces
-1 teaspoon white vinegar
-2 tsp dill
-2 tsp onion powder
-3 tbsp garlic
-3 tbsp paprika
-vegan mayonaise***
-salt'n'peppa (push it real good. okay, actually just to taste)


*** there is no "right" amount of vegan mayonnaise.  It really depends how creamy you like your sandwich spread.  I used Follow Your Heart's Vegenaise.  It can be hard to find and a bit pricey. I'm also trying to eat a bit healthier, and vegan mayonnaise is still kind of blah for you.  For this batch, I used 4 heaping tablespoons worth.  It wasn't as creamy as I liked it, so I added the following (blended together):
1/4 cup almonds
1/8 cup water, plain soy milk, or veg broth
1 tbsp white vinegar

1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp oil (I used canola)
1 tsp dijon mustard (grey poupon, kids)
2-4 tbsp of vegan cream cheese (because it's less fatty and cheaper)
If you can't find vegan mayo, you can use this recipe or this
 or one of these or this fancy thing and make your own!  You'd be surprised how easy it is to make "creamy" vegan things without the [bad] fat or garbage that's put into regular mayo.


Basically, mash the chickpeas, and mix everything together.  Chill for a few hours, and then get some crackers and stuff your face.




No comments:

Post a Comment